Florida Home on Fire
In just two minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. In five minutes, a residence can be engulfed in flames.
Learn About Fires
- Fire is FAST! In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire. It only takes minutes for thick black smoke to fill a house or for it to be engulfed in flames.
- Fire is HOT! Heat is more threatening than flames. Room temperatures in a fire can be 100 degrees at floor level and rise to 600 degrees at eye level. Inhaling this super-hot air will scorch your lungs and melt clothes to your skin.
- Fire is DARK! Fire starts bright, but quickly produces black smoke and complete darkness.
- Fire is DEADLY! Smoke and toxic gases kill more people than flames do. Fire produces poisonous gases that make you disoriented and drowsy. Asphyxiation is the leading cause of fire deaths, exceeding burns by a three-to-one ratio.
Before a Fire
Create and Practice a Fire Escape Plan
A working smoke alarm significantly increases your chances of surviving a deadly home fire.
During a Fire
- Crawl low under any smoke to your exit - heavy smoke and poisonous gases collect first along the ceiling.
- Before opening a door, feel the doorknob and door. If either is hot, or if there is smoke coming around the door, leave the door closed and use your second way out.
- If you open a door, open it slowly. Be ready to shut it quickly if heavy smoke or fire is present.
- If you can’t get to someone needing assistance, leave the home and call 9-1-1 or the fire department. Tell the emergency operator where the person is located.
- If pets are trapped inside your home, tell firefighters right away.
- If you can’t get out, close the door and cover vents and cracks around doors with cloth or tape to keep smoke out. Call 9-1-1 or your fire department. Say where you are and signal for help at the window with a light-colored cloth or a flashlight.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll – stop immediately, drop to the ground, and cover your face with your hands. Roll over and over or back and forth until the fire is out. If you or someone else cannot stop, drop, and roll, smother the flames with a blanket or towel. Use cool water to treat the burn immediately for 3 to 5 minutes. Cover with a clean, dry cloth. Get medical help right away by calling 9-1-1 or the fire department.
Call SERVPRO of North Sarasota 941-365-4614.
- For more detailed fire safety tips visit www.ready.gov
Mold Is Everywhere
Mold in a building
Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. However, mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture indoors.
Molds reproduce by making spores that usually cannot be seen without magnification. Mold spores waft through the indoor and outdoor air continually. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on.
Since mold requires water to grow, it is important to prevent moisture problems in buildings. Moisture problems can have many causes, including uncontrolled humidity. Some moisture problems in buildings have been linked to changes in building construction practices during the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Some of these changes have resulted in buildings that are tightly sealed, but may lack adequate ventilation, potentially leading to moisture buildup. Building materials, such as drywall, may not allow moisture to escape easily. Moisture problems may include:
- Roof leaks
- Landscaping or gutters that direct water into or under the building
- Unvented combustion appliances
- Delayed maintenance or insufficient maintenance are also associated with moisture problems in schools and large buildings
Moisture problems in portable classrooms and other temporary structures have frequently been associated with mold problems.
Remediators should avoid exposing themselves and others to mold-laden dusts as they conduct their cleanup activities. Caution should be used to prevent mold and mold spores from being dispersed throughout the air where they can be inhaled by building occupants.
Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. When you discover mold, call us at 941-365-4614 and we will go through our standard mold remediation process:
If You See Signs of Mold, call SERVPRO of North Sarasota Today – 941-365-4614
SERVPRO of North Sarasota offers 24-hour emergency response
Any Water Damage In Your Facility Is Bad.
There’s no such thing as a small disaster.
SERVPRO of North Sarasota understands how disruptive unseen water damage can be for your business. For this reason, SERVPRO of North Sarasota offers 24-hour emergency response and, under normal circumstances, will have a trained, uniformed Professional on-site within four hours to begin emergency mitigation services. By responding quickly with a full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO of North Sarasota can help you regain control quickly while drying, deodorizing and protecting your facility and contents.
So, before you risk further damaging the value of your facility by attempting to clean up the mess yourself, call your local water damage cleanup and restoration specialists at 941-365-4614 SERVPRO of North Sarasota. 24 Hours 7 Days a week
Oscar Winning Performance For Carpet Cleaning At The Van Wezel
Van Wezel trusts SERVPRO of North Sarasota to professionally clean their carpets.
Best Director award goes to Jason Werstler
Actor in a leading role award goes to Jamie Walker
Supporting Role award goes to Ryan Weinstein
Best Costume award goes to Jesus Erisuris for SERVPRO hero gear.
Only the best for the best. Van Wezel trusts SERVPRO of North Sarasota to professionally clean their carpets.
Even the highest-quality items can show soiling over time. Protect your investment by calling SERVPRO of North Sarasota to clean and maintain your carpet and upholstery.
Today's carpet and upholstery materials vary dramatically. The SERVPRO System offers a number of cleaning options to match any type of upholstery or carpet.
Professional cleaning can address moderate and heavy soil conditions in your carpets. How often you’ll need professional cleaning depends on soil build-up, traffic, type and color of carpeting. A good rule of thumb would be to professionally clean your carpet every 12 months. The best advice is to clean carpets before they become totally saturated with soil. If you wait until carpets look really dirty, the carpets may never be restored to their former appearance. Dirt builds up in layers, and when a carpet looks dirty you are only seeing the dirt at the tips of the fibers. More dirt is hiding below the surface down near the base of the pile, causing damage to the carpet. When a carpet is saturated with dirt, the soil has penetrated crevices and has become firmly lodged.
SERVPRO of North Sarasota will get the job done right. For a cleaning backed by state-of-the-art equipment, over 40 years of experience and Professionals trained to the highest standards, call us today. SERVPRO of North Sarasota is ready to serve you.
Need Carpet or Upholstery Cleaning? Call Today 941-365-4614
& Home Fire Safety
The place where we feel safest — at home — is where most smoking-materials
structure fires, deaths, and injuries occur. Smoking materials are the leading
cause of fire deaths. Smoking material fires are preventable.
If you smoke, use only fire-safe cigarettes.
If you smoke, smoke outside. Most deaths result from fires that started in living rooms, family rooms and dens or in bedrooms.
Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials up high out of the reach of
children, in a locked cabinet.
Put It Out
Use a deep, sturdy ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.
Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss,
dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
Smoking and Medical Oxygen
Never smoke and never allow anyone to smoke where medical oxygen is used. Medical oxygen can cause materials to ignite more easily and make fires burn at a faster rate than normal. It can make an existing fire burn faster and hotter.
We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster
Immediate action is crucial when dealing with water and fire damage. We’re dedicated to responding immediately when you need help. A fast response helps lessen the damage, limits secondary damage, and reduces cost.
Microwave Oven and Safety
With busy lives, families rely on the microwave oven as a quick way to heat up a meal, warm up a drink or defrost dinner. While the convenience of the microwave oven is something we take for granted, safety should not be. By following a few simple safety tips you can prevent painful burns and possible fires.
PURCHASE a microwave oven that is listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Make sure to complete and return the product registration card. This way the manufacturer can reach you if there is a recall on the product.
PLUG the microwave oven directly into the wall outlet — never use an extension cord.
MAKE sure the microwave oven is at a safe height, within easy reach of all users.
OPEN food slowly, away from the face. Hot steam or the food itself can cause burns.
FOOD heats unevenly in microwave ovens. Stir and test before eating or giving to children.
NEVER heat a baby bottle in the microwave. Since a microwave oven heats unevenly, it can create hot pockets, leading to burns. Warm a bottle in a bowl of warm — not hot or boiling — water, or by running it under the tap.
Always supervise children when they are using a microwave oven.
Use only microwave-safe food containers or dishes. Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven.
If you have a fire in the microwave, leave the door closed, turn the oven off and unplug it from the wall. If the fire does not go out, get outside and call the fire department.
Have Questions? Call Us Today – (941) 365-4614
Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Common place to find mold
When water leaks or spills occur indoors - ACT QUICKLY.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it.
You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of North Sarasota for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.SERVPRO of North Sarasota specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, SERVPRO of North Sarasota 941-365-4614
About Our Mold Remediation Services
Mold and Your Home
Mold on Furniture
The Effects of what Mold can do to furniture.
When water leaks or spills occur indoor-Act Quickly. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases will help stop the growth of mold.
Confusion and misunderstanding surround the topic of mold and mold remediation. Some restoration businesses even make claims to remove all mold from a building. This is a fallacy. Mold spores occur naturally almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. These microscopic spores float along in the air and can enter a home or business through windows and HVAC systems. Consider these facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
SERVPRO of North Sarasota Are Highly Trained Mold Remediation Specialists
- Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technician
Call SERVPRO of North Sarasota 941-365-4614. 24 hours 7 days a week.
Wood Floor Moldy
We wanted to bring up this mold story. SERVPRO of North Sarasota had a client that called us due to mold within their carpet. Once we started removing the carpet we noticed that what was harboring below the mold stained carpet... It was actually a nice wood floor underneath. The carpet and wood floor created such a living space for mold that it ended up rotting the wood floor. So much in fact the mold was almost eating away at the floor making it a very soft spot on the floor.
With the insurance claim, SERVPRO of North Sarasota had to remove the whole wood floor to remediate the mold that was growing so we could start taking action. Because this was an insurance claim the client is now able to purchase new wood flooring that will be installed sometime this week.
Got Mold Call SERVPRO of North Sarasota @ 941-365-46914
After the Storm Comes Mold
Water follows the path of least resistance
Your home should be your place of rest. But when water begins leaking – even small leaks in areas you can’t see – your home could quickly become a source of stress. The possibility of harmful mold, rot and unseen damage may affect the value of your home and the health of loved ones.
SERVPRO of North Sarasota understands how disruptive water damages can be for your entire family and will help ensure the water is identified, regardless of where it hides. That’s why we offer 24-hour emergency response by trained, uniformed restoration professionals. With top-of-the line equipment and time-tested cleanup and restoration techniques, SERVPRO of North Sarasota has the expertise to help make your house feel like home again.
After all, when it comes to your home and your family, even small disasters can feel like huge problems. So if a water damage occurs in your home, just call your local
SERVPRO of North Sarasota 941-365-4614.
We’ll be there to help